Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Holiday Weekend

This past Monday, May 2nd was a holiday here in China - Labor Day I believe.  All I know is there was no work on Monday and an excruciating amount of people around Shanghai over the weekend.  I was cautioned by many to not attempt to travel to any of the nearby cities over this holiday weekend, because it would be painfully crowded and not relaxing.  It was busy in the city too, but only because I chose to take the metro multiple times, the rest wasn't too bad.

I'll share a little bit about the weekend...

Friday, I joined some friends of friends to watch the Royal Wedding at an Irish bar in the French Concession called O'Malley's.  I got there just after Kate walked in, so was able to catch all the important nuptials.  The bar, both inside and outside in their lovely courtyard, was full of Brits and all kinds of Royal admirers.  Some people were all decked out in beautiful hats and formal dresses.  It was pretty cool to see so many people coming together in a foreign land to celebrate.
Courtyard at O'Malley's for Royal Wedding
Saturday, a colleague of mine offered to take me out for the afternoon.  Tingting, I think I've mentioned before, is Chinese but recently got her MBA from Duke.  She has been a great friend so far, and is always willing to go to lunch or share cool places to visit.  Saturday we met at my apartment and jumped on the metro to head towards Lujiazui.  This stop (and road) is just over the river from the Bund and is the major financial district holding the Oriental Pearl Tower, SWFC and Jin Mao - and none other than the "Super Brand Mall".  A funny name, but it speaks the truth.  This mall has just about every brand you could think of on about 9 floors.  We headed up to the 9th floor to try a traditional Shanghainese place called Shanghai Spring.  As I'm learning, the Shanghainese food is sweeter that other regions and even the traditional Chinese food we would expect.  It was yummy and easy on the tummy!  This place has really cool views out across the river of the Bund, but we did not get a reservation in time... holiday weekend and all, everything was packed.

After browsing through a few stores, we got back on the metro for a few more stops and headed to Century Park.  This park was wonderful! Tons of open space, lots of trees and lots of people! There were 3 person bikes for rent and little paddle boats to take out on a big lake.  There were lots of families out, many with tents out on the grassy areas to keep the young ones out of the sun.  I saw no less than 4 brides taking pictures - several outfit changes, awkward poses and patient husbands.  We took a walk around the lake and had ice cream.  I can't wait to take Adam back to the park, that is if I'm able to pry him away from the fake market!!

Tingting and me at Century Park in Pudong

Sunday, I took my 2nd yoga class in Shanghai.  Like most things in Shanghai, this yoga studio has proven to be a little bit backwards and uncomfortable.  First, they made me sign a contract of which the smallest was either 50 classes or 6 months unlimited - both costing the same.  So, I went with the 6 months unlimited, vowing that I will take more than 50 classes to get my money's worth.  I paid a ridiculous amount, but really feel like it will be good for several reasons.  First and foremost, it is wonderful strengthener for my knee.  Also, it will give me something to do and somewhere to go outside of work! Its actually in my office building which is very convenient, and I will even try to take some classes over the lunch hour.  They have both hot and flow yoga classes, and a varied schedule.  The first class I attended made me pretty nervous - the teachers and most of the people in the class were really yogis (people with are good and very experienced).  The American teacher, Bill, was very serious and very pushy.  As in - "I didn't say water, put your water down," "why aren't you listening, I said right over left" and "You aren't acting like you want to be here today".  Now comments like this I would fully expect from my college soccer coach, but not from my yoga instructor.  So, I was pretty nervous my whole first class.  Luckily, none of the comments were directed at me - only watch your knee and feel free to modify this position as needed!  After taking my second class with Bill on Monday, I realized that the Hot Yoga class I was in was pretty advanced and thats why he was so serious.  I'm learning which classes are more relaxing and which are harder work.  The hot yoga felt amazing on my knee - can't wait to get back in there.  I'm three classes in... 47 more to go!

On Monday, most of the girls from the Wednesday night group at Steffanie's met for brunch at Mr. Pancake House near the Jing'An Temple.  Steff had been wanting to share this place with me, so it worked out well.  Yummmm... it was perfect, not overly good, but a great stack of pancakes and a bottomless coffee.  Good food and good company, doesn't get much better on a day off work!

The crew at Mr. Pancake House on Monday


I finished off the long weekend with another Yoga class and a 60 minute foot massage.  I'm loving Shanghai!

No comments:

Post a Comment